We’re certain that once you’ve experienced the view from the Silvretta Hochalpenstrasse, you will be smitten. Summits as far as the eye can see and lush green forests give the panoramic road its nickname; and rightly so, as the “dream-road for connoisseurs” has already captivated many a holiday guest.
The 22 km connecting road between Vorarlberg and Tyrol leads you from the Partnen to the Bielerhöhe to Galtür. It’s not for nothing that the Silvretta Hochalpenstrasse is one of the most popular panoramic roads of the Alps. Whether with a mountain bike, motorcycle or by precious vintage car, “the journey is the reward” when driving on the Silvretta Hochalpenstrasse.
Silvretta Hochalpenstrasse at a glance
- The panoramic road with a length of more than 22 km runs from the Partenen in the Montafon (altitude of 1,051 m) to Galtür.
- The road initially leads up to the Bielerhöhe (altitude of 2,032 m) in 34 hairpin bends before leading back downhill.
- Incline: 10% to 12% max, approx. 5% on the hairpin bends
- Please note that the Silvretta Hochalpenstrasse is a toll road and therefore incurs a charge.
- Toll rates vary according to vehicle and number of persons.
- Find further information about the fees for the Silvretta Hochalpenstrasse in the price list.
The Silvretta Classic Rallye has attracted numerous vintage cars and their proud owners to the Montafon ever since 1998 – year in, year out. Fans of vintage and modern cars get their money’s worth during this three-day contest in the summer. Genuinely rare vehicles from decades past can be admired. 150 vehicles weave up and down the panoramic road with an expert jury ensuring a first-class selection of participating vintage cars. You will certainly spy one or two Bentleys or Duesenbergs. The race is not about speed, however, but rather about precision and accuracy.
Learn more about the Silvretta Classic Rallye
The Bielerhöhe as a starting point for hikers
The Bielerhöhe is the apex of the panoramic road connecting the Vorarlberg Montafon with Tyrol’s Paznauntal. For hikers and mountain bikers, getting to the popular destination alone is an experience. The highest destination of the Montafon awaits you with a commanding view across the mountains and the reservoirs of Vorarlberg. In summer, the Bielerhöhe can quickly and comfortably be reached with the Vermuntbahn and Tafamuntbahn mountain railways.
Hikes on the Bielerhöhe at a glance
- Hike around the Silvretta reservoir: approx. duration 1.5 hours
- Hike to the Wiesbadener Hütte
- Hike to the Saarbrückner Hütte
- Klostertal hike: approx. duration 4 hours
- Bielerkreuz hike
- Tübinger Hütte hike: approx. duration 4.5 hours
Mountain biking on the Bielerhöhe
Sporty cyclists ascend part of the Silvretta Hochalpenstrasse by mountain bike. Starting at the mountain station of the Vermuntbahn, the Silvretta-Bike-Safari leads you through the Vermuntstollen to the Bielerhöhe. Your reward is the impressive view of the Piz Buin, the highest mountain in Vorarlberg. Furthermore, you mustn’t miss the three reservoirs Vermunt, Silvretta and Kops during your tour.
The Silvretta Hochalpenstrasse is an all-out experience. We will be happy to help you plan your holiday in the Montafon – which must include a day on the panoramic road. Send us your non-binding holiday enquiry and look forward to very special moments of holiday happiness in Schruns.